Link to News Link to Calendar Link to Courses Link to Maps Link to People Directory Search our site


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I know what classes to take at Blinn or another college in the summer?

The Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCNS) has been designed to aid students in the transfer of courses between colleges throughout Texas. Common courses are freshmen and sophomore academic credit courses that have been identified as common by institutions that are members of TCCNS. For more information about TCCNS and the courses at Texas A&M which correspond to TCCNS, visit the TCCNS Page.

Q: I have missed class due to illness and/or serious personal problems. What should I do?

You are responsible for providing satisfactory evidence to the instructor regarding the absence. If the absence occurs the same day as a scheduled exam or other graded procedures, you must notify the instructor or department by the END of the next working day after the absence in order to ensure full rights. Some instructors request documentation from the student for an excused absence while others require notification by his or her academic advisor. Regardless, there must be written documentation that confirms the reason and the dates absent. Remember, the instructor is under no obligation to provide an opportunity to make up missed work because of an unexcused absence.

Q: What counts as a university excused absence?

The following reasons are considered excused by Texas A&M University (Section 7.1 from student rules )

  1. Participation in an activity appearing on the university authorized activity list. You must notify your professor prior to the absence.
  2. Death or major illness in a student's immediate family. 
  3. Illness of a dependent family member.
  4. Participation in legal proceedings or administrative procedures that require a student's presence.
  5. Religious holy day.
  6. Illness that is too severe or contagious for the student to attend class (to be determined by Health Center or off-campus physician).
  7. Required participation in military duties.
  8. Mandatory admission interviews for professional or graduate school which cannot be rescheduled.

Students who miss graded work for excused absence have a very limited amount of time to notify the professor that the absence was excused and provide documentation. For specific information, go to: and search for excused absence.

Q: How do I change my major out of GEST?

The process of changing out of GEST to some major is quite simple as long as you meet the requirements of the intended major. If requirements are met for a specific major, then all you need to do is go to that department or college and request to be changed into their major. Other majors have more complicated application processes and deadlines for applications each semester. See our Changing Majors webpage for these at

No paperwork needs to be completed in General Studies. However, if you do not meet the requirements, you may need to come talk to an academic advisor in GEST about your options.

Q: How do I change my major into GEST?

You must first meet with a GEST advisor. If your GPR is a 2.0 or better and you will not be a senior at the beginning of the next full semester you can then submit an online form to request the move to GEST. If you do not have a 2.0 and hope to change into GEST, then the decision will be made based on:

  1. Your mid-term grades and/or
  2. The most recent grades on your record. Most students who are below a 2.0 must fill out an appeal form in order to be considered for GEST.
  3. The identification of a major that is realistically within reach.
  4. During the first twelve class days in the fall and spring semesters, students who are approved to change to GEST will immediately be posted as GEST majors. After the first twelve class days, changes of major will be pre-posted for the following semester.

Q: How long can I be a GEST major?

Students who are allowed to change to the GEST major are only guaranteed one GEST semester. Some students may earn the ability to pre-register for a second GEST semester if the students’ midterm and/or final grades are on target for gaining entry to the designated major.

Q: What are the Add/Drop deadlines?

A student may add a class during the first five class days of the fall or spring semester, or during the first four class days of the summer terms or 10-week summer semester. A student requesting to add a course after these deadlines must have the approval of the student's undergraduate associate dean or designee. The student also may be required to obtain approval from the professor of the class. A student may drop a course with no record during the first five class days of a fall or spring semester and during the first five class days of a summer term or 10-week summer semester. Following this period, if approved by the dean or the student's college, a student may Q-drop a course without penalty through the 60th class day during fall or spring, or on pro-rated dates during the 5-week and 10-week sessions of the summer semester.

Q: How do I Q-drop a class?

If you are a GEST student, you should come by 300 Hotard Hall (Between Neeley and the Post Office) between the 5th and the 60th class day. The first thing you will do is fill out the Q-drop form and read over the Student Acknowledgment of Q-drop Responsibility form, which informs you about potential circumstances that may result from the Q-drop. Upon completion of these forms, you will meet with an advisor for a short period to discuss the appropriateness of the Q-drop.

Q: What classes count toward the limit of 4 Q-drops?

All classes count as a Q-drop except for one-hour classes (i.e. KINE 199, BIMS 101). There is one exception to this rule: if a science lab is Q-dropped and the lecture section is not, it will be considered a Q-drop. If, however, the lab is Q-dropped at the same time, AND ONLY AT THE SAME TIME, as the lecture part of the course, then it will be considered one Q-drop.

Q: What are the GPR requirements for majors that require above a 2.0?

Check the Change of Major page on our website.

Q: Can I take the qualifying courses for Mays Business school at a community college?

Yes, as long as they are equivalent to classes at TAMU. The Mays College of Business prefers that accounting majors take all accounting courses at Texas A&M.

Q: Where do I go to have a transcript sent to another school?
The Office of the Registrar, located in the General Services Complex or online at (

Q: I have taken courses from another school. How do I have those credits posted here?

Texas A&M must receive an official transcript from the originating institution. Request the granting institution to send a transcript to the TAMU Registrar.

Q: What courses transfer to TAMU?

The following is the webpage address for the Texas Common Course Numbering System in the 2014-15 Texas A&M University Catalog:

Q: What courses can I take Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory in Transition Academics? When is the last time I can change to S/U from a grade or the reverse?

KINE 198/199 and STLC 101/102 can be taken S/U. The last time a change in grade status may be made is the Q-drop deadline.

Q: How do I get my grades?

 To view your grades, login to

Q: I need to see an advisor. How do I set up an appointment?

To schedule an appointment, click on "Contact Us" in the left menu bar and follow the link for the "Appointment Page."

Q: Can I get forced into a class that is listed as full?

A: General Studies has no authority to force students into courses which have met enrollment limits. To check on the possibility of a force, contact the department which offers the course.

Q: I am on probation. Should I go to summer school?

GEST academic policy states that students on probation may not attend summer school. If there are compelling reasons for you to attend TAMU rather than a community college or other institution, see your academic advisor.


Programs in Transition Academic Programs are supported with funding from The Association of Former Students.
The Department of Transition Academic Programs is an Equal Opportunity Employer